The coral triangle is one of the most important reef systems in the world.
- It spreads across the 6 countries (CT6) of – Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, the Solomon Islands and Timor Leste.
- It occupies only 1.5% of the world’s total ocean area, but represents 30% of the world’s coral reefs. 76% of the world’s coral species are found here. It is home to 56% of the Indo-Pacific coral reef fishes.
- It is the world’s epicentre of marine biodiversity.
- It is one of the 3 mega ecological complexes on our planet together with the Congo basin and the Amazon rainforest.
- Coral triangle day is celebrated on June 9 by the Coral Triangle Initiative, a multilateral partnership of the CT6 countries.